- 4 lbs. Moody’s boneless arm roast Bone-in works just as well
- 1 carrot roughly chopped
- 1 celery stock roughly chopped
- 1 yellow onion cut in eighths
- 1-2 slices bacon for additional flavor
- ½ C red wine approx. amount for deglazing
- fresh rosemary
- 1 large can of tomatoes
- 4-6 garlic cloves
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Pre-heat oven to 300°F.
In a medium Dutch oven, saute the chopped carrot, celery, onion and bacon until lightly browned. Remove from Dutch oven.
Salt and pepper the arm roast and brown it on both sides in the Dutch oven. Remove roast from Dutch oven.
Deglaze the Dutch oven with red wine.
Throw veggies back in the Dutch oven, then add the roast covered with the tomatoes and a few sprigs of fresh rosemary. The top of the roast will be above the tomato/wine concoction so place or stud the garlic cloves on top so they will roast.
Place the Dutch oven in a 300° oven for as long as it takes for the meat to be just falling apart, about 5 hours. Turn it once after about 2 hours. Add more liquid if needed.
When done, serve over egg noodles.
Wine Pairing: I enjoy a nice red blend or light Cabernet Sauvignon.